Saturday, September 6, 2008

Another Old Homie

First, Big Cheese was the nickname of Kenny Clark [his sister's name is
Lona - she dated Ronald Jacques and they had two kids - she also has a
daughter by Kevin Braxton]. 
Second, I referred to Novel as a knucklehead because the way he treated
me. He seriously wanted his dream boy [Manocgi (misspelled) - big white
dude and a very nice person] to be his primary running back. During our
first scrimmage game I injured my wrist [nothing major] and by the end
of the week, Novel promoted Manocgi to my starting position.
Subsequently, he was forced to start me again [after the third game] due
to my performances, and most important, the complaints from my
teammates. Although, to my surprise, Novel asked me to play varsity
baseball toward the end their season but, as you know we were still
completing in track.

1 comment:

the barbershop said...

Thanks, Ricky, for the history and the correction. I remember both Kenny Clark and Greg Ballard as class guys. They had good hearts. They were not standoffish and arrogant as star athletes tend to be. Brother, since you were all over Pomona in those days, who threw the best sets? Funny how in our days a set was a party, not a gang territory. I was always scared to go to a party on the south side. I don't know why. Those were some fun times. I remember playing in the marching band while you ran touchdowns. Like Clark and Ballard, you also were a star athlete who never looked down on anyone, especially us guys in the band. Tim